Deciding On and Installing a New Roof
If you have been on the hunt for a new roof recently, then you’ll know there are a lot of options on the market. From every type of shingle material out there to tile and shake roofing, the choices for residential roofing can seem endless. One option that is becoming increasingly popular in residential neighborhoods is actually metal. More commonly seen on commercial and industrial properties, metal roofs are favored for their durable and long-lasting qualities. To learn more about metal roof shingles in The Woodlands, TX, contact The Woodlands Premier Roofing today at 832-246-7884.
Metal Roofing Pros and Cons
Of course, what every homeowner wants to know is, “What are the pros and cons of a metal roofing?” A metal roof installation is going to be costly, but there are proven and trusted advantages to this structure.
- Longevity: One of the great benefits of metal roofing is longevity. Metal roofing, whether it is in sheet or shingle form, will last upwards of 75 years or longer! To make things better, most manufacturers place a 50-year warranty on their products as well.
- Energy Efficiency: Metal roofing is incredibly energy efficient. That’s because the material reflects light and heat rather than absorbing it. In doing so, you’ll find your HVAC system is able to work more efficiently in the summer and the winter months.
- Durability: Another great benefit of this material is durability. Simply put, metal roofing is strong. Most installations can handle wind gusts up to 140 mph as well as smoke, grease, chemical, rain, and sun exposure – all without becoming damaged.
- Environmentally Friendly: Something many may not know is that metal roofing is very environmentally friendly. Most metal is made with anywhere from 25-95% recycled materials, but it is also 100% recyclable at the end of its time as a roofing material.
- Cost: Perhaps one of the biggest drawbacks of this roofing structure is the cost. Metal roofing can cost between two and three times more than a traditional roof. Though this roof is an investment, it only makes sense to spend that much if you plan on spending and investment more time in your space.
- Noise: Another drawback that many homeowners experience is noise. Metal has been known to be louder in regards to the sounds of rain and hail hitting the roof. Even when insulation is installed at the same time, metal roofing can still be relatively loud.
- Inconsistency: One problem that homeowners may face later on, well after installation, is inconsistency in repairs. As time goes on, certain materials, colors, and styles may no longer be available, which can result in an uneven and inconsistent appearing roof.
- Lack of Knowledge: And of course, one of the other biggest disadvantages of metal roofing is simply the lack of knowledge. Unfortunately, there are just not enough roofers and contractors that know how to properly install, repair or maintain this structure.
Metal Roof vs Shingles
This biggest concern and the biggest question homeowners have always seems to be, “Which is better metal roof or shingle roof?” Deciding on metal roofing or shingle roofing is dependent on several things. You really have to think about the cost of installation as well as who you are working with. It’s the same when you are needing something like AC service.
Metal roof shingles cost more than asphalt shingles do, initially. It’s usually that initial cost that turns customers away, but metal roofing is a long-term investment. That being said, if you chose a cheaper metal, such as aluminum, the overall cost to replace your roof could potentially be about the same as if you chose asphalt shingles. Yes, the cost of the actual material is expensive, but you also have to consider the cost of time and labor. When you work with a reliable company like The Woodlands Premier Roofing, you not only get competitive prices for materials but for time and labor costs as well.
So is a metal roof or shingles cheaper? As mentioned, that is dependent on several things. If you are willing to invest more time, money and effort into your home, then metal roofing is the way to go. Otherwise, asphalt shingles are just as dependable.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best metal roof system?
- Most roofing systems are considered to be the better option for most properties. That being said, the standing seam metal roof system is not only considered one of the better options, it is also one of the most popular for both residential and commercial properties.
- What are metal roof shingles?
- Metal roof shingles are investment-grade metal roofing that mimics the appearance of shingle or tile roofing. They can look like slate tiles, but not only cost less, but weigh less as well. They provide all the great benefits of sheet metal roofing but actually look like shingles or tiles.
- What are the problems with metal roofs?
- Metal roofs can often be loud. When installed without insulation, the sounds of rain or hail hitting the roof has been known to be louder than other roofs. They can also make spaces hotter or colder. Metal reflects light, which helps lower energy bills, but it can also cause a space to heat up quickly as well.
- Are metal roofs worth the cost?
- It really depends on your needs. At the end of the day, a metal roof is an investment. You are choosing to spend thousands of dollars on a structure that will last longer than most other materials. Whether it is worth it depends on your needs, your budget, and what you want from your roof.
Connect With Us Today!
For metal roof shingles in The Woodlands, TX, trust the best in your area. Contact The Woodlands Premier Roofing at 832-246-7884 to schedule an appointment for installation today.