Storm Damage to My Roof
When we think of roof damage after storm, we typically think that our roof is going to be damaged by hail or wind. A lot of people ask, “What is storm damage?” and storm damage is when severe rain, hail, and wind caused by a storm harms something. Hail and wind are usually the biggest culprits when it comes to roof storm damage, but a roof can also be damaged by heavy rain. If the rain is heavy enough, it has the power to damage your roof shingles and even the underlayment of the roof. If water comes into contact with the decking, then it can cause damages to the structure of the house, as well as cause mold growth in your home. In order to ensure that your roofing system is in good shape after a storm, its important to have it inspected. If you do have roof storm damage, an inspection will be able to determine how severe the damage is and if a repair or replacement is needed.
How Do I Know If My Roof Has Storm Damage?
Whether its a tornado, hailstorm, or hurricane, these types of storms have the ability to leave your roofing extremely damaged. The best way for a homeowner to know if they have roof storm damage is to get a professional roof inspection. How do you inspect a roof for damage? While it is wise to call a professional for a roof inspection, there are ways for a homeowner to inspect their roof to see if they need storm damage roof repair or a replacement.
The first area that you can inspect is your attic. What you will want to look for is water damage. Check to see if there are water stains on the walls or the ceiling–if so, then this will require repairs from an experienced roofer. The next place that you can look is outside. You can check your back and front yard to see if there are missing shingles or materials from other roofing components on the ground. In addition to checking the ground of your home, you can also check the exterior walls, windows, mailbox, patio furniture, and other things that are outside for cracks or dents. If you notice that patio furniture or trees have been knocked over, that is a clear sign that your might have roof storm damage.
Is Roof Damage Covered By Insurance?
Roof Storm Damage Insurance
When it comes to roof storm damage, repairing or replacing a damaged roof can be expensive. Fortunately, most homeowners have roof insurance through their homeowners insurance. Its important to note that while homeowners insurance does cover some roof damage, it doesn’t cover all of it. In order to for your homeowners insurance to cover roof damage, they need to know what exactly caused the damage. The good news is, that most insurance companies will cover roof damage that is caused by lightning strikes, wind, hail, and water damage.
Its a relief that insurance companies will cover these types of peril, but if your roof is leaking due to storm damage, they will want significant proof. If they find that a roof leak is caused by storm damage, they will cover the cost, but if they determine that the roof leak is due to lack of maintenance, you are one your own. A lot of people ask, “How much does it cost to fix a roof leak?” It really depends on the extent of the damage, but repairs can be anywhere from $100 to $3,000. In order for your roof storm damage to be covered, there are a couple of things that you can do when you file your insurance claim.
- Understand Your Policy: Before you call your insurance company to file a claim, you need to know if your insurance will actually cover the cost of your roof storm damage.
- Take Pictures: If you want to have your storm damage covered, you will need to provide the insurance company with significant proof that your roof was damaged by a storm. Taking lots of pictures will provide you with the evidence that you need.
- Document Everything: On top of taking pictures, it doesn’t hurt to write down the types of damages that your roof and home have acquired.
- Get a Roof Inspection: You will want to get your roof inspected as soon as possible. This is to ensure that your roof is really damaged and so you can know the total value of damage you have.
- Call Your Insurance Company: As soon as you know that your policy cover roof storm damage and you have had your roof inspected by a reputable, you can call your insurance company to start filing a claim.
If you are needing roof storm damage in The Woodlands, TX for your synthetic shingle roofing or asphalt shingle roofing, call The Woodlands Premier Roofing today! Getting repairs for your storm damaged roof is not only important for your roof and the structural integrity of your home but because water damage can make its way in your home, it can affect your indoor air quality, as well. Contact us at 832-246-7884 to learn more!