Repairing an Asphalt Shingle Roof
Unless otherwise specified, almost any home built today comes automatically with asphalt shingles. They are a tried and true material, well known for being long-lasting, reliable, and inexpensive. That being said, asphalt shingles are also known for being easily damaged. Even the most expensive version of these tiles can be damaged by things like wind, hail, and other objects. High price does not always mean that you are getting the best version of a material. A truly reliable asphalt shingle roof will be dependent on the quality of the material and the quality of the installation. When you need asphalt shingle repair in The Woodlands, TX, look no further than The Woodlands Premier Roofing. Call us at 832-246-7884 to get started.
Signs of Damaged Shingles
Owning a house comes with many responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is caring for your roof. It can be easy to neglect and ignore a residential roof because it isn’t always the most important thing. By doing that, however, you run the risk of experiencing serious problems like leaks, mold growth, water damage and more. So taking care of your roof is really one of the best ways to prevent that. To do that, there are several things to pay attention to.
- Curling: An indication of damaged shingles can be seen at the corners. If they appear to be curling up and away from the roof, they have more than likely experienced some type of damage.
- Bald Spots: Areas that appear to be bald, or missing granules, are another indication of damage. This could occur because of hail damage or overhanging branches. Either way, you’ll also want to look for granules in your gutters and around your house.
- Missing Pieces or Tiles: If looking at your roof you notice actual pieces of your shingles are missing, your roof is damaged. Typically it will happen around the corners and edges of tiles, but when you see actual sections of shingle tiles missing, they are definitely damaged.
- Bubbling and Buckling: Another sign to look for are shingles that appear to be bubbling or buckling. They aren’t curling away, but it looks as though something is pushing up from underneath.
Repairing asphalt shingles is one of the easier services to complete, but just like bathroom repair, it is something you hire a professional for. While there are many patch kits you can buy in stores, they are not permanent fixes. Those patch kits work great to temporarily prevent further damage from occurring, but they will not protect your roof if another storm blows through. That is why it is important to rely on asphalt roof repair contractors when you need any kind of roof repair done.
What Causes Shingles to Crack?
The number one reason an asphalt shingle may crack is due to a phenomenon known as thermal splitting. What this means is, the shingles are not able to withstand drastic temperature changes, so the material expands, contracts, and ultimately splits from the fiberglass base. This can result in water damage, leaks, and more, but why would a shingle crack in the first place? There are two reasons for that.
- Poor manufacturing: The reason a shingle may crack and split under extreme temperature drops has to do with the manufacturing. Poor manufacturing means the tiles are not properly designed to handle the stress of such an occasion.
- Poor installation: The other reason asphalt shingle could crack is because of poor installation. Roofers that use poor quality adhesives and materials could mean that your roof will not be able to withstand the temperature changes as well.
Asphalt shingles are as reliable as you allow them to be. When you hire an experienced residential roofer to complete the installation, you can be sure you’ll have a durable roof. Talk with your roofer about who and where they source their materials from. Take the time to make sure you are getting the best materials. While asphalt shingles are among the more inexpensive option, they are still an investment. The only way to get the most out of your investment is to know what you are getting into. In addition to taking care of your roof through regularly scheduled inspections and maintenance services.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Should you repair or replace your roof?
- That will ultimately depend on the extent of any damage to your roof. Newer structures that have experienced some storm damage may only need repairs. While an older roof could possibly benefit from a complete replacement.
- Can asphalt shingles be repaired?
- Yes, asphalt shingles are among the easiest roofing material to repair. While they can easily be damaged by high winds and hail, the repair is just as easy. You can either remove and replace only the damaged section, or just completely replace a tile at a time.
- How do you fix cracked shingles?
- You can either remove the damaged section or completely remove the shingle. Then replace it with a new shingle. If you are just removing a section, you can adhere a new piece to the damaged section.
- How long will a roof patch last?
- If the weather clears up, a roof patch should last only a few days. It should last long enough to allow time for a contractor to come examine and repair your roof. It will not last as long as a permanent or professional fix.
Connect With Us Today to Repair or Replace Your Residential Roof
For any residential roofing need, there is no other team to rely on. Trust The Woodlands Premier Roofing with all your roofing needs, including asphalt shingle repair in The Woodlands, TX. Contact our team at 832-246-7884 to schedule an appointment today.